Vol. 57 No. 4 (2016): Silliman Journal

					View Vol. 57 No. 4 (2016): Silliman Journal

Welcome to the final issue of 2016 when the Silliman Journal was published quarterly. Most of the articles in this issue are research outputs from the natural sciences. But first, faculty at the College of Nursing investigate “Integrated Management of Childhood Illness (IMCI) Training through the Lens of the Participants”. The study of Rowena Turtal and colleagues was intended to evaluate a training program from the perspective of those trained. Because of experienced logistical difficulties and challenges of the trained health workers, the authors recommend ways by which the problems could be addressed, including proposals for continuing education. The second paper is by engineering adjunct professor Benjamin Tobias on the “Design and Development of Abaca Fiber Sand Cement Frogged Brick Composites.” An attempt was made to fabricate at room condition short abaca fiber sand cement composite material using the conventional mixing method. The product was found to lend application in the building industry. Third, Lani Lou Lopez and colleagues investigated “Molecular Identification and Characterization of Two Trichoderma species Isolated from Carabao Manure and Evaluation of Shelf Life Using Locally Available Substrates”. Beneficial microorganisms such as Trichoderma play an important role in nature faming and organic agriculture as they have the ability to improve the quality of soil, increase yield of crops and serve as bio-control agent and microbial activator. Researchers try to isolate and identify the usefulness of microorganisms in nature in order to determine the biology of the species and its mode of action. Then, engineering faculty compare fuel economy of a vehicle with standard power train and another with power train modified into a hybrid with cylinder deactivation, stating at the outset that rising gas prices and concern over global warming have resulted in the development of hybrid vehicles and vehicles with cylinder deactivation in order to improve automotive fuel efficiency. These vehicles currently make up less than 1% of vehicles worldwide. Success of this technology shows how some of the remaining 99% of vehicles may be made more fuel efficient. In the fifth full-length article, Maribeth Jadina and colleagues from the University of the Philippines-Los Baños theorize land ownership in land titling. After three decades of agrarian reform, the authors sought to identify and discuss the concept of land and land ownership through land titling and to determine its connotations. Data gathered through in-depth interviews were interpreted within the context of constructivism and three major paradigms emerged in the process: land ownership through titling is viewed as security, pride, and propaganda. Next, Annie Paz-Alberto and others assess animal diversity in the Forest Ecosystems of Baler Forest Reserve and Dibut River Watershed. Some 40 animal species were observed in the area under 30 families, where Families Alcedenidae, Pteropodidae, Muridae, and Ranidae are the most represented. The mammalian species Greater Musky Fruit Bat (Ptenochirus jagori) is the most common and the most dominant animal species surveyed in the forest ecosystem. Baler Forest Reserve and Dibut River Watershed exhibited low to very low diversity among animals. As has repeatedly been found in similar diversity studies, human activities (e.g., timber poaching, kaingin farming, and so on) have posed major impact on environmental degradation. The final full length article is also by colleagues from the University of the Philippines in Los Baños who look into climate change adaptation and resiliency of coastal communities in the Red River Delta Biological Reserve in Vietnam. The relationship between climate change adaptation and resiliency variables was found to be weak although it was positive linear; the ecosystem in the area has worsened due to environmental pollution and lack of awareness in environmental protection, but the mangrove forest resources have the capability to combat climate change.

Published: 2022-10-03

Full Issue